Assistant Manager’s House – Longview Farm

This is the seventh post in a multi-part series about Longview Farm in Lee’s Summit, Missouri.

The Assistant Manager's House from the southeast

General Info:

Function and Features:

Completed in April 1914, the Assistant Manager’s House was one of the first buildings completed on the farm and was put to use immediately as housing for construction supervisors. It is similar in size and appearance to other managers’ houses on the farm, particularly the Dairy Manager’s House, which appears to be almost identical to me.

The house featured three large porches, two on the first floor and one on the second. Over time, all three were enclosed and the rear porch on the first floor was made larger. In its 60 years of use, the house only had two sets of occupants. The first was the original assistant manager of the farm – H.C. Spencer. He occupied the house until the 1930’s, when Mr. Crawford (the farm manager) and his wife (who would become a caretaker for Mrs. Combs) moved in, with Mrs. Crawford moving out in 1974 and leaving the house permanently vacant. Mr. Crawford had died some years earlier of a heart attack.

Other than the fact the wall separating the office from the rest of the house was removed in the 1930’s, there are not very many characteristics that separate this house from other houses on the farm.

The fireplace in the main living room on the first floor.

Architectural Drawings:

As part of the mitigation plan for the lake project, a number of razed structures had detailed architectural drawings completed. These were included in the  HABS survey.

Today:

The house was razed for the lake project, even though it would not have been underwater.

Additional Photographs:

The little nook in the corner was originally the office.

Detail of the molding on the second floor landing.

From the east.

The kitchen.

Exterior northwest view.

The enclosed porch on the second floor.

Photo Credits

All photos are from the HABS survey. David Kaminsky, August 1978. Architectural drawings by Leonida Guido Cubellis.

 

Leave a Reply